The Spectrum is an information resource specially designed for individuals who are new to the autism spectrum.
We aim to be a trusted helping hand through your journey with autism, we are here to answer your questions with evidence based answers in clear and non-technical or confusing ways.
We celebrate neurodiversity and everything that comes with it.
We are excited about people who think differently and are curious about exploring and understanding how different ways of thinking can shape us, our communities and our world.
We know that the opportunities for people with autism are endless.
We welcome your feedback and comments, please contact us..
The Spectrum is a website that is informed and maintained by Autism SA
About Autism SA
People with autism and their families established Autism SA in 1964. It was the first organisation of its kind in Australia. Since 1964, Autism SA has been single-minded in its focus upon supporting the autism community.
Today the organisation has a long and rich history of being a recognised leader for the provision of specialised consulting and services to people on the autism spectrum, their families and the broader community.
Autism SA has over 13,000 registered individuals on the autism spectrum. Autism SA’s workforce of currently over 260 staff provide a range of quality services and supports, that are innovative and follow evidence-based practice, to individuals across the lifespan, their families and professionals in a range of locations including clinic, in-home, and schools.
A strong legacy of bringing first to the community, both in South Australia and across the nation
- Staging the first national conference on autism in 1967
- Established the first national federation of service providers specialising in autism, 1969
- Publication of the first autism journal in 1979
- Operation of the first autism specific school in SA
- First recognition awards program in 2007 to celebrate achievements within the autism community, late becoming a national program
- Hosting of the Asia Pacific Autism Conference (APAC) in 2013
- Research and development of the iModeling app
- 2015 creation and delivery of the Autism Friendly Charter, which builds inclusive businesses and organisation across the nation
Autism SA is accredited and registered as a provider through:
- National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
- Helping Children with Autism (HCWA) package
- Better Start, and
- The Government of South Australia Disability Services Provider Panel
Autism SA is also a proud partner of the AUSTRALIAN Autism Alliance
Our Vision is for each person on the autism spectrum to live the life they choose in an inclusive society.
Our Mission is to be the first choice for individuals on the autism spectrum. Supporting them to turn their potential into reality.
Special thanks go out to:
- The autism community who provided input and feedback at the various stages of this project
- Funding by the NDIS through the Information, Linkages and Capacity Building – National Readiness Grants.
- Autism SA Staff and project teams who worked tirelessly to research, scaffold and review content over the development period
- Fuller, our brand communications agency who created the brand, website and carefully crafted content.